It not uncommon if your pet dog suddenly scratches its body because of a particular itch that continually bothers them. That irritation is usually caused by tiny, creepy, gross looking crawlies that lurk and bite on your dog’s skin. These crawlies are, in the layman’s term, called dog ticks.
These ticks are not only such a bothersome to your pet, but they are also harmful. They would potentially make your pet wound itself because of the constant scratching on the parts where the insect had bitten them.
The ticks’ bites would also cause Lyme disease which will affect your dog in a matter that is not very pleasant for it is fatal to their health. Some other conditions that are caused by ticks are also rocky mountain spotted fever, tick-borne meningoencephalitis, as well as hemorrhagic fever.
In a more specific scientific term, dog ticks are taxonomized as Dermacentor variabilis. These ticks are insects that have 8 legs, sort of like a spider daily these are parasites. They feast on the blood on of an animal by biting on its skin with the use of its jagged, tooth stinger which is on its head, and latch on to their host until it is full.
These insects tend to be a problem that needs to be solved, and for it to be addressed, one must remove them from the furry pets for them to live a happy, healthy life with their owners.
Here are ways for you to get a tick out of your dog:
Pull them out. ASAP.
As soon as you spot one on the dog, remove it quickly for it not to bite into its skin.
When the tick bites or infests its stingers within the dog’s skin, the infectious of its diseases spread. The longer it eats on the dog, the higher the risk of infection.
When removing the tick, these things must be prepared beforehand:
A covered container.
This will be used for storage for the ticks when you remove them. A small screw-top container, like an unused plastic soda bottle, is highly recommended.
A pair of latex gloves.
- Medical Gloves/Exam Gloves
- Glove, Exam, Latex, Curad, Pf, Md
- Made in: United States
This is mainly for protection for the one removing the ticks. Ticks can be harmful to humans too for they contain their food, which is blood.
Tweezers or a tick remover
- 2 monthly applications of K9 Advantix II flea and tick prevention for large dogs weighing 21-55 pounds
- K9 Advantix II flea and tick prevention for dogs works through contact, so fleas, ticks and mosquitoes do not have to...
- K9 Advantix II flea and tick control for dogs is an easy to apply topical formula
This is used in so that grasping the tick would be more comfortable instead of using just bare hands. A tick remover is a tool that is as small as a toothpick and has a curved end which is mostly similar to a tiny crowbar. Tick removers could be found online or at the nearest pet shop.
Upon removing the tick, there are pointers to be observed which are:
- Before removing the tick, see to it if it can crawl out first by rubbing the tit in a circular motion. If it doesn’t work, then proceed on removing it with the use of the tweezers or the tick remover.
- Also, if your dog is uncomfortable or will not calm down or sit still, you may need assistance for you to complete this process.
- Grasp the tick gently with the tweezers or tick remover without squeezing and pull straight up using a steady motion instead of a sudden or abrupt pull.
- You want to remove the tick whole. An abrupt pull could result in leaving a sting or two on the dog skin.
- Situate or dispose the removed tick within the covered container, and continue removing more ticks if more ticks are present.
- Disinfect the dog’s skin with antiseptic and as well as any other tools that were used in the process, and then dispose of your non-reusable supplies properly towards the garbage bins and trash cans for one to maintain a clean environment.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after everything else has been done enjoy the tick free life along with your dog.
For more information or a step by step visual, watch this:
Use a tick repellent
- EFFECTIVE, WATERPROOF FLEA TREATMENT FOR DOGS: PetArmor Plus is a waterproof, flea & tick topical prevention for dogs...
- TRUSTED, VET QUALITY FORMULA: Containing fipronil and (S)-methoprene, the same active ingredients as FRONTLINE Plus for...
- BREAK THE FLEA CYCLE: Unlike other flea and tick treatments that may temporarily suppress flea activity, PETARMOR Plus...
If your area is highly infected with ticks, and removing a tick one by one cannot be considered an option, it would be advisable to visit your dog’s veterinarian. It would have been known to be a better option for you to discuss with them the best repellant that they could suggest for you to use.
For every tick repellant, there are usually different ways for it to apply to your pet for it to be very efficient and effective. So that you will have had the most productive repellant, one must be attentive to whatever the veterinarian says for the instructions to be well understood and applied when using the repellant for your beloved dog.
Another option is to make one yourself with the use of just three ingredients and common household materials like a spray bottle and a washcloth. The three ingredients that are used are:
- half a cup of distilled water;
- half a cup of apple cider;
- And a tablespoon of lemon juice
Step 1 – Add half a cup of distilled water into the spray bottle. A funnel could be used so that you’ll have easier access
Step 2 – Add half a cup of apple cider vinegar juice into the bottle as well. Apple cider and lemon juice are considered natural tick repellants.
Step 3 – Add a tablespoon of lemon juice into the mix and then cover the spray bottle and shake it so that all the ingredients will mix for the perfect natural DIY tick repellant.
How to use it
Just apply the mixture to the washcloth and apply the washcloth you to your pet dog’s fur coat.
Observe cleanliness and proper care for your dog
Out of all the options cited, cleanliness and orderliness is the most practical one that every pet owner should observe.
Since this can be actionable here are some additives:
- Bathe your dog at least once a month or once every week.
- Ticks don’t tend to stay within a host if it is exposed more often to water or a substance that could potentially remove it from the host from its will.
- Groom your dog daily
- By grooming, one could give it a trim (not applicable daily or your dog would go bald) or just brush or comb its fur. Not only is this a better method of stealing away ticks upon the process but it would also soothe and calm your dog.
- Make sure your pet strays away from dirt or garbage. The trash is where pests come from so if your dog decides to sway through your waste, it is a definite maybe that the tick would eventually bend through your dog and eventually infest itself within the creature and make it its new home.
- Tender love and care is the last and best way possible to get a tick out off a dog. Whether it is metaphorically or, if one, indeed, loves and cares for their dog, it is an affirmation that it would not be likely to be infected by creepy crawly ticks.
Last update on 2021-10-26 at 20:06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API