Fleas are among the most common problems facing dogs, so it may come as no surprise that there is a wide variety of prevention and treatment options on the market today. You may choose a flea shampoo, a flea collar, a flea comb, a powder, sprays, tablets, over-the-counter medicines, and even prescriptions.
This article discusses 10 of the most popular anti-flea products available. Each one uses a different technique for killing or preventing fleas, so there should be something to suit every dog owner. Most flea treatments are available over-the-counter. However, some tablets and spot-on topical treatments require a prescription from a veterinarian.
1. Do all flea treatments use chemicals to kill and prevent fleas?
No. Some products use such natural components as cedar oil and lemongrass oil, and others are advertised as containing no chemical pesticides. While some dog owners will use nothing but natural flea treatments, others believe chemicals are necessary for eradicating fleas and other pests.
Sometimes the latter option is considered more viable when confronted with a more prominent and persistent infestation. To make sure that you are doing right by your little canine friend consult your veterinarian.
2. Which type of flea treatment is best for my dog?
The best flea treatment for dogs depends on your specific situation. The situations may vary from case to case. For an active flea infestation, you may want to consider a powder that dehydrates adult fleas and larvae. If your dog has only a few fleas, a flea shampoo may be the answer. If you live in an area where fleas are common, you may want to consider a monthly oral tablet.
3. Do flea treatments kill any other pests?
Yes. Many of the anti-flea products kill fleas, mosquitos, ticks, and lice. It is important to note whether a particular treatment kills just the pests or the pests’ eggs and larvae, as well. That is especially if the infestation has gone undetected for some time. The possibility of larvae and eggs could only prolong the situation, more than expected.
How We Reviewed
We looked at flea shampoos, collars, sprays, powders, over-the-counter liquids and prescription flea treatments, and we chose the ones with the highest ratings and the most success at preventing and killing fleas. In addition, we considered both chemical-containing products and those that use only natural ingredients.
Overall Price Range
A flea comb, at $4.31, is among the least expensive options, while shampoos and sprays range from about $12 to $20. On the higher end, are prescription medicines in the $30 range and a collar for $50. Prices may also vary depending on the retailer. For prices on prescription treatments, check with your veterinarian.
Top 10 Flea Treatments for Dogs
1. Novartis Capstar Flea Tablets
[amazon fields=”B07PWB9J43″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
[amazon fields=”B07PWB9J43″ value=”button”]
- This is a single box with six tablets.
- You may purchase this product without a prescription.
- Dog owners may give one dose once a day.
- This treatment kills more than 90 percent of adult fleas.
The active ingredient, nitenpyram, is an insecticide used in agriculture and veterinary medicine to kill pests. If a re-infestation of flea occurs, dog owners may give their dogs up to one tablet a day. But no more than one per day. An overdose may require afterward the intervention of a veterinarian.
- Capstar is safe for puppies and kittens, as long as they are at least four weeks old and weigh at least two pounds. The tablets are safe for pregnant and breeding animals, and fleas die within four hours of contact.
- This is a short-duration flea adulticide. The effectiveness lasts 24-48 hours. It does not prevent fleas from returning or protect a home from future infestations.
2. Bayer K9 Advantix II Flea, Tick, and Mosquito Prevention
[amazon fields=”B004QRJJ0K” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
[amazon fields=”B004QRJJ0K” value=”button”]
- Advantix is sold in four different boxes, depending on the dog’s size.
- You may purchase two, four, or six doses in a box.
- This is a topical treatment that is applied to two or three spots on the dog’s back from shoulder to base of tail.
- It starts killing fleas within 10 minutes. Within a 12-hour period, 98 percent of adult fleas will be dead.
Advantix kills fleas, ticks, mosquitos, and lice, and it repels biting flies.
- This product is veterinary recommended. It is waterproof and kills all flea life stages. One treatment protects dogs for 30 days. Fleas do not have to bite in order to die, and ticks do not have to attach to a host to be eliminated.
- Do not use this product on cats. It is not made for them, too. It may sear their fur and burn their skin.
3. Wahl Dog and Puppy Shampoo
[amazon fields=”B005CUTW8O” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
[amazon fields=”B005CUTW8O” value=”button”]
- This shampoo naturally repels fleas for up to one week.
- It does not use any toxic chemicals or harsh detergents.
- It contains cedar oil as a flea repellant, plus rosemary and mint as a pleasant scent.
- It comes in two sizes, 24 ounces and 64 ounces.
Wahl flea and tick shampoo is a plant-derived formula that repels fleas without harming the environment. It is made up of a formula that is plant based alcohol free and is paraben free. It is fit for any type of coat and skin when it comes to your dog. It also provides a shampoo that is relaxing and does not put stress on the fiber of the hair.
- This is a concentrate, so you only need to use a small amount to work up a good lather. Do not over do it, though.
- This product does not kill all fleas.
4. Fleabusters Rx for Fleas
[amazon fields=”B000MS6Q2Q” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
[amazon fields=”B000MS6Q2Q” value=”button”]
- Fleabusters is a powder that attaches to larvae and dehydrates them.
- It comes in one size, a 3-pound canister.
- This product comes with a one-year satisfaction guarantee. Consumers may return it for a full refund if it fails to last one year.
- It treats carpets, area rugs, baseboards, and upholstered furniture.
Fleabuster kills fleas, as well as roaches and ants. If your dog has fleas, there is a good chance that you have a flea infestation in your home. Most of the eggs and larvae can be found in places that your dog frequents, such as its bedding, the couch, carpeting, and feeding areas.
- Children and pets may go into a room right after it’s been treated with Fleabuster. You do not have to wait long after treating the surfaces with it. It is odorless and can treat up to 1,200 square feet. You only need to use a small amount for the product to be effective.
- Some people may be sensitive to the powdery substance. While Fleabusters can rid your home of fleas, you may need a different product to treat the yard.
5. Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray for Dogs and Home
- This product kills fleas, ticks, and flea eggs without the use of harsh chemicals.
- It may be used in the yard and inside the home, on dog bedding, crates, kennels, blankets, pillows, upholstery, and carpets.
- It is safe for puppies who are at least 12 weeks old.
- The bottle has an induction style sealed cap that, together with a detached spray, prevents leaks.
Vet’s Best uses ingredients that are plant-based, such as oil from peppermint and clove-based eugenol. It also uses certified natural essential oils.
- This spray won’t stain anything, and it may be used indoors and outside. It is environmentally friendly.
- If misdirected, the spray could get on surfaces that must then be wiped off.
6. Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar
[amazon fields=”B00B8CG602″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
[amazon fields=”B00B8CG602″ value=”button”]
- One collar provides eight months of protection against fleas.
- The flea collar contains the active ingredients, which are released gradually and protect the dog from the tip of the nose to the tail.
- This product also helps treat and control sarcoptic type mange and lice.
- With Seresto, dog owners can avoid monthly topical treatments.
Seresto kills fleas and ticks on contact. It contains an insect growth regulator that stops the life cycle of eggs and larvae of fleas.
- Seresto is non-greasy and odorless and can be worn with the dog’s regular collar. It can also be purchased without a prescription. The collar is water-resistant, so it can be worn while bathing or swimming.
- This product is more expensive than shampoos and powders. Some dogs may have a reaction to this collar.
7. Wondercide Flea, Tick and Mosquito Control Spray for Dogs, Cats and Home
[amazon fields=”B01M8GFPXG” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
[amazon fields=”B01M8GFPXG” value=”button”]
- Wondercide uses natural ingredients to kill and repel fleas, ticks, and mosquitos.
- It uses no chemical pesticides.
- The active ingredients in this spray are cedar oil and lemongrass oil.
- This product also stops itching and scratching.
Wondercide uses natural ingredients to kill the full flea life cycle. It also kills ticks, mosquitos, mites, and mange.
- Wondercide is safe for children, puppies, kittens, senior pets, and even nursing mothers. It does not stain and can be used on pets, bedding, furniture, and flooring. It uses natural ingredients which make it less danerous if in prelonged contact with the skin.
- Some people may not like the spray format, nor its odour.
- It may not be as effective against fleas as one based on chemicals.
8. Safari Flea Comb
[amazon fields=”B0002RJMAK” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
[amazon fields=”B0002RJMAK” value=”button”]
- Using a double row of teeth, this comb safely pulls fleas and debris out of dog fur.
- It helps dog owners find skin and coat problems.
- It is ideal for all dog breeds.
This comb helps find fleas in the early stages.
- This flea comb is perfect for using right after applying flea powders or shampoos.
- This product does not kill fleas and other pests.
9. Frontline Plus for Dogs
[amazon fields=”B0002J1FOE” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
[amazon fields=”B0002J1FOE” value=”button”]
- This is a long-lasting treatment that uses a liquid formula to give non-stop protection from fleas for 30 days.
- It is a topical liquid that owners apply to one spot between the dog’s shoulder blades once a month.
- It kills adult fleas within 12 hours of application.
- It also kills parasitic life stages of ticks.
Frontline kills fleas, flea eggs, and larvae. This product contains two active ingredients. Fipronil is a chemical that kills adult fleas and ticks, while S-methoprene kills the eggs and larvae.
- Frontline is a waterproof treatment that also kills lice. It can be used in puppies eight weeks old and older.
- This formula must be applied once a month. People who are sensitive to chemical odors will find the smell very strong.
10. Arava Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs
[amazon fields=”B01N0UCPUS” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
[amazon fields=”B01N0UCPUS” value=”button”]
- This is a flea and tick collar designed specifically for dogs.
- It kills 95 percent of fleas and ticks within 24 hours.
- It kills and repels fleas and ticks continuously for eight months.
- This one-size-fits-all collar is easy to adjust to a dog’s neck size.
This product protects dogs from fleas, flea larvae, mosquitos, ticks, and sarcoptic mange. It gets rid of flea and tick infestations and prevents new infestations from occurring. This collar releases the effective ingredients gradually over an eight-month period.
- This product comes with a lifetime guarantee. The company will purchase it back from a consumer who is not satisfied. It uses an all-natural formula to kill and repel pests.
- It is relatively easy to use. You just have to clinch the collar and you and your dog are just good to go and explore the world
- You may be bothered by its smell.
- Depending on the tickness of the coat it may not be as reliable as say a shampoo or spray.
- The collar may no be as durable as it is advertised.
If you have a current flea infestation, the best flea treatment for dogs to use is the Fleabuster Rx for Fleas. If you are concerned about using chemicals, the best natural product is Wondercide Flea, Tick and Mosquito Control Spray for Cats, Dogs, and Home. The best flea collar on the market is the Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar.
However, you should be careful what product you chose depending on the thickness of your dog`s coat and the place you are leaving in (if say you are in an area that gets frequently infested with fleas you may need a stronger product).