When it comes to the fashion and safety of your beloved dogs, one of the biggest debates is collars vs. harnesses for walking your fur baby. Besides the different fashion statements each provides, the debate is over the safety of each for the pets while out and about. Let’s face it; no dog is the same. Some walk just fine at your side, others see a squirrel and run for the hills, and others just seem to love pulling on the leash and dragging their human around. It’s these different factors that lead many vets and pet owners to believe that harnesses are the better choice for our dogs. So, what is the best dog harness for your pet?
Dog Harnesses vs. Dog Collars
For many, when it comes to walking their dog, simply attaching their leash to their collar is enough reassurance that their beloved pet won’t make a run for it while out and about in public. What was once a popular practice amongst pet owners is quickly being replaced with pet owners suiting their dogs up in a nifty harness for added protection.
So, what’s so wrong with dog collars that are leading pet owners to switch over to harnesses for their beloved pets?
Why Not Dog Collars?
If dog collars were sufficient for so many years, why are pet owners making the switch? While dog collars provide pet owners with a way of keeping their pups safe while out and about, there are some different reasons as to why they are no longer sufficient.
One of the biggest reasons why dog owners are now making the switch to dog harnesses is due to the safety of the dog.
Let’s face it, how many times has your dog found a way to slip out of their collar? It happens more often than we’d like to admit. The worst is when our beloved pup gets overly excited while out on a walk and decides to slip out of their collar and take off running. Sure, some dogs listen to commands and will stop and stay when told to, but that isn’t always the case. This leads to lost, injured and even the untimely passing of pets.
While these thoughts are enough to convince many dog owners to switch from a collar to harness while walking their dog, there is another reason that has vets suggesting that dog owners make this switch.
When dogs pull while on their lead, their collars put pressure on their neck and trachea, also more commonly known as their windpipe. While many believe that small dogs are the only ones at risk of injuries to their neck and trachea as a result from pulling while their lead is attached to their collar, the fact is that big dogs are just as prone to these injuries, especially since they can pull and jerk harder than small dogs.
Benefits of Dog Harnesses
The benefits of dog harness are many so that we will list only some of the most important here for you now.
First and foremost is the fact that the dog is so much less likely to slip out of it during a walk. Harnesses are a full body piece that generally has two leg holes and that wrap around the body of the dog before being secured at either the dog’s back or at their side. Because it goes around their legs and body, the chances of the dog slipping out of the harness are much slimmer, though not totally impossible. That being said, make sure you get a harness that properly fits your furbaby. If it is too big, they can still slip out if they can manage to get their legs out of their designated places.
The best dog harness also helps to train both young and old dogs when it comes to not only walking on a lead but to stay, not pull, not chew on a leash and so on. Properly fitting harnesses signal to the dog to calm down and relax thanks to the gentle pressure that is applied to the body if they act out of turn.
Sure, small dogs benefit greatly from the use of dog harnesses, but they are a great tool for large dogs as well. When used on a large dog, it helps to control them better while out and about. Instead of having to yank at the dog’s neck via the collar, the user can pull on the lead, which will apply gentle pressure to the dog’s back and shoulder.
Remember, these are only a few of the many reasons why harnesses are more beneficial when compared to dog collars. Your vet can better guide you if you have more questions or concern about how to pick a harness that best suits your pup.
How We Chose Our Ratings
Our focus is to provide you, the consumers with an honest look at the products on the market, and when it comes to our furry friends, we want to guide you in the direction of what is best for them.
That being said, after looking over hundreds of reviews, we tallied up our own totals to give each product in our top 10 best dog harness list with a rating out of 5 stars.
Our totals are based on overall consumer ratings, product reliability and overall quality of the product. In the case of a rating tie, we took the overall price into consideration to keep the consumer’s best interest in mind.
10 of the Best Dog Harnesses for the Furbabies
When it comes to picking out the best dog harness for your furbaby, the simple fact that there are so many different options on the market can become very overwhelming.
So how do you choose which is best for your pooch? You will want to take into consideration the size of the dog, the style of the harness and the overall fit. While some harness styles may look cute, it doesn’t mean that it will be an ideal option for your baby. To properly fit your puppy, we suggest talking to your vet as they will be better equipped to guide you as to your specific breed and their needs.
After you’ve gotten a chance to do so, check out our top 10 list of best dog harnesses!
- Waterproof & Secure Material: Make of high quality oxford cloth and polyethylene foam, an advanced breathable mesh...
- Features: Adjustable nylon straps, quick release buckles, heavy duty yet more comfortable magic sticker fastening system...
- Durable Grabbing Handle: Strong, low-profile handle on top for quick and easy grabbing. Durable D-ring hook for leash on...
This harness is dedicated to helping people, and dogs get out and enjoy the world together. The harness is padded with soft, breathable sponge material and the mesh polyester liner helps to keep your furbaby comfortable while walking or riding in the car.
- EVERYDAY DOG HARNESS: This No Pull Dog Harness is Constructed from lightweight No Rip Nylon and Anti-Chafe Padding,...
- GREAT FOR PULLERS: No pull Front leading ring for more controls, help you train them to stop pulling! D-ring on the back...
- EASILY PUT ON and TAKE OFF the head-over harness hassle-free.Unique 4 points of adjustments Design for a near-custom...
Why we love this harness is because of the reflective material that it is made out of. It can be hard to find harnesses for larger dogs, let alone one that is made out of reflective materials that allow your dog to be seen easier by those around them. The breathable material also makes cozy for your pooch so it can be worn for longer periods of time.
- SIZE L: Neck 18"-25.6", Chest Girth 27"-32". Please measure your dog's size for the right purchase
- MORE SECURE: Double stitching are more durable. High visibility reflective stripe makes your dog safer at night
- COMFORT & NO CHOKING: Broad and breathable chest pad ensures comfort. Evenly dispersing pulling pressure to dog's body
This padded harness is equipped with reflective stitching, making it easier to spot your pup day and night, a quick-release buckle that allows users to put it on and take it off easily and metal adjustment clips that make this unit more durable than many similar products on the market.
- Superior comfort with no chafing
- Pulling pressure is evenly distributed to the body to prevent Pulling and Choking
This harness helps to evenly distribute pressure to the body to help prevent pulling, which is especially important with our bigger pups. With the 3M reflective material, your dog will be much easier to spot at night, and the easy grab handle on the back makes it easier to grab ahold of your pet should they get excited.
- Large Dog Harness - Recommended Breeds: Medium to Large Dogs, such as Golden Retriever, Huskie, Labrador, Alaska, German...
- No Pull, No Choke - Our non-pulling dog harness is specially designed with 2 metal leash rings for safer dog walks. Use...
- Easy to Use - This hassle-free overhead harness is easy to put on and take off with its 2 fast-release buckles. Slide...
This easy-on, easy-off design of this harness makes it an ideal one for those with finicky pets. Harnessing up your pooch isn’t easy, and this step-in design makes it much simpler and less stressful on both you and your pet.
The adjustable side straps mean that you can create a more custom fit for your dog and the fact that these straps are reflective means that your dog will be seen at night.
6. BlueberryPet 5 Colors Soft & Comfortable 3M Reflective Strips Nylon Neoprene PaddedTraining Dog Harness
- Size: Chest Girth 30-38.5", Chest Width 25.5", Webbing Width 1", Large; The chest strap is not adjustable. For a safe...
- Reflective: To keep the style and high quality, our designer delicately embedded part of the neoprene harness with 3M...
- One Click Buckle & Easy Control: Only one buckle and this easy on-off design is great for most of dog breeds. The handle...
This harness is not only functional, but it’s also cute as well, making it perfect for the fashionable pooch. It also features reflective strips both on the webbing and the front chest strap, making sure that your baby will be seen in the dark and a unique neoprene material in the front chest strap that offers maximum comfort.
- MADE FOR EXTENDED WEAR: Lightweight, durable, and made for all-day outdoor adventures; Designed for easy on and off
- 2 LEASH ATTACHMENT POINTS: Reinforced webbing at chest stands up to pulling and gives additional control (ideal for...
- PADDED FOR COMFORT: Foam-padded strips across the chest and belly provide equal load distribution and comfort when...
This harness is not only easy to put on but is a comfortable one. It features two leash attachment points; an aluminum V-ring centered on the dog’s back and reinforced webbing at the dog’s chest for training or attritional control.
It also features an ID pocket to keep the dog’s tags quiet and easily accessible.
- Size: Large; chest perimeter: 29.9 inch to 36.2 inch; neck perimeter: 23.6 inch to 29.5 inch; please measure the size of...
- Stylish, durable, scratch Resistant material; large loading capacity greatly improves tensile strength
- Easy to put on and take off Harness; comfortable lightweight mesh lining with soft sponge padding in chest and belly;...
This harness is not only meant to be seen; it is meant to keep your dog comfortable. The comfortable, lightweight mesh lining and soft sponge padding in the chest and belly are meant to keep your dog comfortable on their walks, and the reflective material helps to ensure that your pet is seen at night. The handle at the back also makes it easier to grab hold and control Fido if they get easily excitable.
PriceBuy on Amazon
- ENJOY MORE WALKS: Easy to use & comfortable to wear, four adjustment points plus Swiss Velvet lining prevents rubbing
- BETTER CONTROL: Two connections give you better training results with your dog
- TRAIN WITH EASE: Recommended by veterinarians, trainers, and dog behaviorists worldwide - helps you train your dog.
This no-pull harness features a patented control loop on the back of the harness that tightens gently around your dog’s chest to discourage pulling and making your walks more enjoyable. The soft velvet lining on the strap that goes behind the dog’s legs prevents any sores that can happen with some harnesses.
PriceBuy on Amazon
- Stylish Service Dog Harness: This dog vest is durable, scratch resistant and has soft nylon webbing. With a lightweight...
- 3M Reflective Material: Our reflective vest with nylon webbing allows your pet to be visible and safe even in diminished...
- Adjustable Straps: Adjustable dog harness gives your pet the perfect custom fit. It has two leash attachment points, on...
This harness is not only durable but is also scratch-resistant, lightweight and features nylon webbing with 3M Reflective material that ensures your dog is seen both day and night. The soft sponge padding in the chest and belly ensure that this harness is comfortable for your furbaby.
The Best Dog Harness Will Provide Your Dog with Comfort and Safety
When it comes to picking out the best dog harness for your beloved pet, you want to make sure that it is not only safe but comfortable.
What is important to remember that the style that fits one type of dog won’t necessarily fit another dog, so it is vital to have your dog properly sized and fitted. Most sellers provide a chart on how to do this, but when in doubt, simply ask your vet for recommendations. They can show you how to fit your pooch properly and guide you on what styles work best for your specific breed.
Last update on 2022-10-02 at 09:25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API