If youâre getting a new dog and need to teach him where the home boundary line is, you might want to consider investing in an electronic fence. These devices are in-ground boundary lines made of wire that transmits signals to a transmitter and back to the collar of your dog to help him understand where safe zones are.
You set up the boundary, then spend a little while to train your pooch where the line is, and then let the in-ground fence do the rest.
To help you best understand which fence might be best for you, weâve compiled information on how to choose fences, along with warnings and things to keep in mind when you do. Weâve also compiled a list of the top seven fence choices available on the market.
- Comparison Table
- How to Choose the Right Electronic Dog Fence
- Warnings and Notices for All Electronic Dog Fences
- How We Chose Our List
- The Top Choices for Electronic Dog Fences
- 1. Deluxe Ultra Comfort Contact System
- 2. Sit Boo-Boo Hidden Dog Fence – Safe & Unseen Pet Containment System In-Ground System
- 3. DogTek Electronic Dog Fence System EF4000
- 4. PetSafe Free-to-Roam Wireless Dog and Cat Containment Fence
- 5. Dr. Tiger 2 Receiver Electric In-Ground Invisible Dog/Cat Containment Fence System W01-G4
- 6. SportDog 100-Acre In-Ground Pet Fence System
- 7. PetSafe Stay + Play Wireless Fence
- Finding the Right Electronic Dog Fence
How to Choose the Right Electronic Dog Fence
There are three major things to keep in mind as you consider which dog fence to choose.
There are dozens of electronic fences available, so looking into the specific features of each brand and model may help you determine which fence is right for your dog. Think through the options and determine before you shop, which things you might need.
- Collar type
- Collar size
- Whether or not multiple collars can be used with the system
- Additional wire available or not to expand the distance
- Contact point types on the collar
- Portable or permanent
- Burying required or above ground
Secondly, the cost will largely affect which system may be right for your family. Weâd recommend doing a cursory search online for the type of fence youâre looking for, to be able to determine your budget. Then, be sure to stick to it so that you donât cause yourself financial issues. Be sure to compensate for high-quality fencing, though, rather than relying on cheap options.
Donât forget to account for the costs of the system, the cost of additional wire, and the cost of additional collars that you may need to complete the system for all the dogs in your household.
Thirdly, youâll need to contemplate the radius available for the system. Some systems are really great, but have a closed system and canât have additional distance added in. Be sure that you know the size of your yard or the area you need to keep your dog within, and then examine systems based on the size of protection area they cover.
Warnings and Notices for All Electronic Dog Fences
General warnings for anyone using an electronic dog fence include the following potential issues that youâll want to keep an eye out for.
- Never use electronic fences for dogs who consistently show aggressive behavior.
- Avoid leaving any collar associated with an electronic fence on a dog for longer than 12 hours.
- Always expect that it will take somewhere between 15 and 25 days to initially train your dog to understand the boundaries of his invisible fence. Reinforcement training will be required for this period.
- Always avoid making passageways too narrow for your dog to move freely about the space. If he is corrected for simply moving from one area to another, he will be discouraged and wonât feel free to move freely in his own area.
How We Chose Our List
We scoured the internet looking for the best possible electronic dog fence choices. We compared the reviews and ratings given by others, then looked through the information provided by both manufacturers and retailers, and asked which options actually suited the needs of most people.
After wading through the reviews, we narrowed down the list to our own top choices and ranked them in order of what we believe to be the absolute best choices available.
The Top Choices for Electronic Dog Fences
Below youâll find a list of the best seven electronic dog fence choices available. Weâve provided our own ranking of the fences as well, with information to help you determine which system might be right for your home.
1. Deluxe Ultra Comfort Contact System
- 100ft 20 gauge twisted wire
- 50 boundary flags
- 500ft 20 gauge wire
The Deluxe Ultra Comfort Contact system comes with 50 boundary flags to help teach your pup to visually understand where the boundary is. Thereâs a lightning protector built-in to help protect your dog as they live and play outdoors.
The comfort contacts cushion your petâs neck with soft rubber, unlike the steel probes used by other brands. The softness helps to reduce possible skin irritations. And this fence system gives you the flexibility of changing the frequency, and change the stimulation setting to achieve the right range of correction that most appropriately fits your dogâs needs. Each collar on the system can be programmed to provide just the right level of correction.
The Temp Check feature keeps the fence field stable in the same location when the temperatures change outside. The Wire Check feature automatically compensates for wire problems and adjusts the signal power to help make sure the boundary stays consistent so that your dog doesnât risk crossing the line without realizing it.
The Battery Check feature checks your dogâs collar battery status every two hours and helps to make sure his collar doesnât get low.
2. Sit Boo-Boo Hidden Dog Fence – Safe & Unseen Pet Containment System In-Ground System
- ELECTRIC DOG FENCE 955 ft of industrial grade SOLID COPPER CORE WIRE. Enough to cover 1.2 acres. Can expand up to 5...
- 5 LEVELS OF ADJUSTMENT - Tone & Static correction. Perfect for mild mannered to more stubborn dogs
- ADD UNLIMITED PETS: Perfect for that large pet family - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NTVQBWV/ref=twister_B083T7YCNK?
The Sit Boo-Boo Hidden Dog Fence system has been upgraded with solid copper boundary wire, and an improved transmitter. The rechargeable batteries have a longer life before needing a new charge, and the system has the latest in electrical fence technology.
This fence is an unseen and effective form of training your dog to behave well. There are fewer frustrating episodes where that stubborn, hard-to-train pup gets into places heâs not allowed. The boundaries are quickly and easily set, and your pooch learns those boundaries easily with this gentle system. There are five training levels for more precise training.
You can add multiple collars to the Sit Boo-Boo system, so no matter how many pups youâve got at home, youâre good to go. And the range is wide and adjustable. Just place the cord in the shallow ground around the precise space you need to keep protected. The transmitter will do the rest.
Thereâs also a lifetime replacement warranty for the Sit Boo-Boo system, so if something goes wrong, youâre all set for a replacement.
3. DogTek Electronic Dog Fence System EF4000
- State Of The Art Transmitter With 2 Adjustable Zones
- Innovative, Fully Waterproof Collar With 8 Levels Of Static Correction
- 500 Feet Of Perimeter Wire and 50 Flags
The DogTek Electronic Fence System EF4000 sets itself apart from the competition with a massive eight levels of static training for your dog. This makes the system especially great for dogs who tend to be a bit stubborn or slow to learn.
You use the collar on dogs with short or line haired dogs, and for as many of them as youâd like. Youâll just have to purchase additional collars to add them on.
The system covers up to five acres of land, but you will need to purchase additional wire to cover that much ground.
4. PetSafe Free-to-Roam Wireless Dog and Cat Containment Fence
- 1/2 acre of circular coverage: The adjustable circular range can cover up to 1/2 acres from the placement of the...
- No wire to bury: A wireless boundary allows you to create a secure barrier around your yard to protect your pets without...
- Static free re-entry: Unlike traditional in ground fences, this wireless fence allows your pet to return home without...
This wireless boundary feâânce is waterproof and easily adjustable. This fence helps to keep your pets safely in the containment area and comes with waterproof receiver collars. There are five levels of static correction for your pets, helping to keep them safe as they may decide to roam free of the safety of home.
You can set up this fence so easily, and usually sets up within one to two hours. This particular option is perfect for RV camping, vacations, or any other kind of transitional housing situation for your pet. Youâll need to keep an eye on the terrain type, topography, and any metal objects, though, as they may affect the operating range a bit.
The boundary itself can be set for anything from 5 feet to 90 feet, and the whole thin can cover a full 1/2 acre for a larger area of play and roaming for your pet. The transmitter just needs to be plugged into any standard outlet nearby.
The collar that comes with the system is safe for any pet over five pounds in weight.
5. Dr. Tiger 2 Receiver Electric In-Ground Invisible Dog/Cat Containment Fence System W01-G4
The Dr. Tiger 2 in-ground invisible containment fence is one of the most reliable, most cost=efficient containment systems on the market. The radio transmitter issues out a harmless signal that goes through the boundary of the yard.
When your dog gets close to the boundary, the collar warns your dog that heâs approaching the edge with a beep. The signal gets stronger and stronger as the dog gets closer to the boundary.
Always make sure the passageways you create with this system, or any others, are wide enough for your dog to easily move through the area without accidentally stepping out of range and being discouraged by the correction signals.
6. SportDog 100-Acre In-Ground Pet Fence System
- Great system for dogs 10lbs and up
- Choose from standard grade wire up to professional grade wire upgrades like 16 and even 14 gauge wire
- Built in Lightning protection
The SportDog 100-acre in-ground pet fence system is an easy-to-install system, using the same grade wire that professional use. This is a very heavy-duty system, and youâll probably have to work a bit to get the ends of the wire to fit into the transmitter.
The SportDog in-ground ââfence system is a safe, comfortable, and easy to use system for dogs over 10 pounds. Thereâs a small radio signal that emits from the transmitter to the boundary wire, which is buried. When your pet crosses the line, he receives a small but safe stimulation that helps him know itâs not safe to leave the area.
The system comes with boundary flags to give a visual aid for training your dog so heâll know where the line is. Before crossing the line, heâll receive a beep that lets him know that heâs coming to the edge. If he proceeds past the warning zone, heâll receive the gentle stimulation to alert him that heâs gone past his boundary.
Thereâs built-in lightning protection for the system, and the system can be expanded to work with additional collars that you purchase.
7. PetSafe Stay + Play Wireless Fence
- 3/4 ACRE OF CIRCULAR COVERAGE: The adjustable circular range allows up to 3/4-acre of coverage (22-105 ft in all...
- NO WIRE TO BURY: A wireless boundary allows you to create a safe barrier around your yard to protect your pets without...
- 5 LEVELS OF CORRECTION: The system features 5 levels of static correction plus a tone-only mode
This particular electronic dog fence is designed for dogs that weight five pounds or more. The PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence is one of the easiest systems to use and includes a small portable unit that you plug into an outlet inside your home. Thereâs no fence to bury, and the collars are waterproof.
There are five static settings, and a single tone-only training setting for the system, to help easily train your dog to know exactly where the boundary is. The system includes a single waterproof collar and covers three-quarters of an acre of land, but the system can be expanded with additional collars. This is an open system, so thereâs no limit to the number of dogs you can add.
Finding the Right Electronic Dog Fence
Electronic dog fences are one of the greatest tools a pet owner can use to help protect his pup at home. Living in the city, the countryside or the suburbs can be a lot safer for your dog through the installation of such a device.
Keep in mind the size of your yard, the number of dogs youâve got, and the personality traits of your dog as you shop around. And always think through the various other features as you examine them, and choose carefully based upon these factors and your budget. Youâll be ready to protect your pup in no time.