Does your dog bark excessively? Jump up on you? Refuse to come when called? One solution is to invest in a dog training collar. It is important to find the best dog training collar for your dog, so before purchasing one, read this article.
This article looks at five types of training collars and the best dog training collars within each of those categories. These training collars correct a number of behavioral issues and offer a variety of techniques for addressing the challenges you may be facing with your dog.
- FAQs on Dog Training Collars
- How We Reviewed
- Overall Price Range
- Top 10 Dog Training Collars
- 1. PetSafe Martingale 1" Medium Collar With Quick Snap Buckle
- 2. Max and Neo Stainless Steel Martingale Collar
- 3. PetSafe Gentle Spray Bark Collar
- 4. POP View Dog Anti-Bark Collar
- 5. PetSafe Stubborn Dog Receiver Collar
- 6. SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence Add-a-Dog Collar
- 7. Petrainer 100% Waterproof and Rechargeable Battery Dog Shock Collar
- 8. Ipets 100% Waterproof and Rechargeable Dog Shock Collar
- 9. Gentle Leader
- 10. Halti OptiFit
- The Verdict
FAQs on Dog Training Collars
Which type of dog training collar should I buy for my dog?
This depends on the undesired behaviors your dog is exhibiting. Some dog collars train dogs not to bark excessively, while others keep dogs within a specified range.
Where can I buy the best dog training collar?
You can find dog training collars at many pet supply stores. For the widest selection of collars, look on Amazon.com.
How do dog training collars work?
Each different type of collar works in a specific way. Some work by restricting a dog’s ability to pull, while others provide a negative stimulus designed to deter undesired behavior.
How We Reviewed
We researched many dog training collars within each category and chose the ones that came out on top in terms of customer satisfaction, quality and price.
Overall Price Range
If you’re in the market for a dog training collar, you should expect to spend anywhere from $12 to $50. However, on the higher end are collars in the $150-$200 price range.
Top 10 Dog Training Collars
- A comfortable alternative to a choke collar
- Martingale loop prevents dogs from backing out of collar and escaping
- Includes quick snap buckle for easy on-off^Made from high-quality, durable nylon
4.2 out of 5 stars
The Martingale collar consists of two loops: one that goes around the dog’s neck, and a second that attaches to the leash and causes the collar to tighten when a dog pulls.
The custom-fit feature is ideal for growing puppies, and it works well for dogs with necks larger than their heads.
Some collars may be loose enough to allow a determined dog to work its head out.
- YOUR PURCHASE HELPS A DOG RESCUE: For every collar sold, we donate an identical collar to a dog rescue. Dog rescues are...
- DOG RESCUES: Each month we donate to different rescues throughout the USA. At the end of every month, we tally up the...
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Our chain martingale collar is 1" wide (3/4" small size, 1/2" x-small size) and made with a 2mm...
The stainless-steel chain won’t rust or stain fur, and reflective stitching bands make this collar perfect for walking or running at night. A separate plastic tab can be used to hang dog tags.
Dogs who are particularly difficult to train may not respond to this type of collar.
- ELIMINATE OR REDUCE EXCESSIVE BARKING - uses a burst of citronella spray to discourage barking; unscented spray refills...
- WATER RESISTANT - suitable for light rain or wet grass exposure. As this product uses only a microphone to detect...
- LIGHTWEIGHT - designed for dogs over 6 lb. with neck sizes up to 24"
3.2 out of 5 stars
Anti-bark collars are excellent tools for dog owners to use to help their furry friends learn when it’s OK to bark and when it’s not. It is best used on dogs that weigh more than 6 pounds.
This collar is water-resistant, so it’s fine to use in a light rain or on wet grass.
Some dogs won’t respond to the mild stimulation of a citronella spray. For safety reasons and for proper fitting, these collars work best if fitted by a professional.
- ✅Humanely silence your dog's annoying barking without painful, anxiety-causing shocks. Dogbark Intelligent no bark dog...
- ✅No shock unit detects movement of your dog's vocal chords. It then emits Audible warning beeps that are followed by...
- ✅Universal size is adjustable for your dog's neck. Suitable for all breeds and sizes, This anti bark collar can be...
4.3 out of 5 stars
The seven progressive levels address the fact that, just like humans, dogs vary in their sensitivity to sound and vibration.
The sound or vibration may excite some dogs and lead to undesired behaviors.
- FOR STUBBORN OR HARD TO TRAIN DOGS: 4 adjustable levels of static correction; highest intensity available
- TONE AND VIBRATION WARNING: ideal for training hearing-impaired dogs; Battery: 9V alkaline battery
- WATERPROOF RECEIVER COLLAR: with low battery indicator
4.1 out of 5 stars
When a dog that is enclosed in an in-ground fencing system tries to cross the boundary and leave the yard, a static correction or electrical stimulation will remind it to stay on its property. Dogs that are being taught to stay within the confined area wear a receiver collar that is connected digitally to the electric fence. A transmitter sends radio signals to the receiver collar, which in turn lets a dog know if it’s getting too close to the fence.
Designed for both cats and dogs, this collar is considered ideal for training hearing-impaired animals.
Some people consider an electrical stimulation too harsh a punishment for dogs. The electrical stimulation a dog feels has been likened to a light tingling sensation on the skin. It has also been compared to a splash of water on the face — a quick and surprising reminder to do what you’re told.
- This is the Collar Receiver only; Compatible with the SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence System (SDF-100A)
- The waterproof Collar Receiver sends a tone and vibration as your dog approaches the boundary, and then moves to one of...
- The SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence can be expanded to contain an unlimited number of dogs with the purchase of this...
3.7 out of 5 stars
Concerned dog owners who would like to know exactly how the electrical stimulation feels may simply hold the receiver in one hand and cross the wire boundary. Many people say the shock is not painful, just irritating.
It is ideal for dogs that weigh at least 10 pounds, and it has a waterproof receiver collar.
Some pet owners choose not to use an electrical shock for training.
- DOES YOUR DOG MISBEHAVE LIKE THEY OWN THE PLACE – Unlike some remote dog training collars, the Petrainer Advanced off...
- ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT HURTING YOUR DOG – Educate your dog with confidence applying 0-100 levels of safe attention...
- WATERPROOF & RECHARGEABLE – Petrainer's E-Collar is 100% waterproof, so your pet can always enjoy the water! Save time...
3.8 out of 5 stars
A clear advantage of the remote dog training collar is the fact that dogs that roam away from their owners get significantly more exercise than leashed dogs while on a hike or out hunting.
This Petrainer collar is ideal for outdoorsmen. The stimulus and intensity level of the tone, vibration, or static shock are adjustable and based on the dog’s weight, breed, temperament, etc.
The stainless-steel collar probes must fit snugly against a dog’s neck in order for the collar to be effective.
- 【1 YEAR WARRANTY! REGISTER your product after purchase and RECEIVE EXTENDED 3 YEARS Warranty】If you ever have any...
- 【Intuitive Design Layout】Electric dog collar with separate sound, vibration and shock buttons, allowing for faster...
- 【Easy to use】Dog training collar features adjustable intensity dial quickly offers precise stimulation level (0-100)...
3.8 out of 5 stars
Dogs weighing 10 to 100 pounds will fit into one of these remote collars.
Some dog owners object to the use of electric shocks on collars.
- Vet recommended and trainer designed: This headcollar instinctively redirects your dog’s tendency to pull by placing...
- Teaches better leash manners: Gently and safely helps you control unwanted leash behaviors like pulling, lunging and...
- No more coughing and choking: A padded neoprene nose loop puts pressure on the back of the neck instead of your dog’s...
4 out of 5 stars
Head collars typically include head halters that attach to leashes and help control a dog by guiding its head in the desired direction.
The nose loop is cushioned, making it more comfortable for dogs.
This collar requires training on the dog owner’s part. Many dog owners use this collar in conjunction with an obedience class, either in person or online.
10. Halti OptiFit
- STOP PULLING - Train your dog to stop pulling on walks with the world-famous HALTI OptiFit Headcollar. Neoprene-padded...
- PRACTICAL & SAFE - The safety loop attaches to the d-ring on the dog’s collar allowing control even if the headcollar...
- CUSTOM FIT FOR ALL BREEDS & SIZES- Made from lightweight and strong nylon webbing, The HALTI OptiFit Headcollar comes in...
3.5 out of 5 stars
This type of collar is effective in curbing excessive barking and training your dog not to lunge, jump, or act aggressively while on a walk.
This is possibly the most customizable head halter for dogs on the market. This headcollar won’t rise into the dog’s eyes or slide down to its lips.
This collar requires some training on the dog owner’s part.
All of the above products rank among the best on the market. The best dog training collar for a dog and dog owner who are new to training is the PetSafe Martingale 1” Medium Collar With Quick Snap Buckle.
Last update on 2021-01-22 at 01:06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API