It may be that time of year, month, or week for your furry friend. As much as they may or may not like it, they’ve gotten themselves plenty dirty in the outdoors. Maybe they decided to roll around in mud, kick up a dust cloud, or jump into an algae-filled lake. The dandruff may have hit critical mass, and it’s time to knock it down a notch or two. Bath time.
It may not be the most dramatic thing in the world, but I also don’t know your dog. Our age-old friends are as varied as we are. Many love water of all kinds, baths included. Other might dread the very concept. However, they are, you want to be sure that once the job is done, it stays done for a while. That good boy or girl needs to be clean, one way or another.
So, just like we need to do in the shower, it’s time to break out the shampoo. If you don’t have shampoo on hand, then you’ll just have to find the best one for you.
- Comparison Table
- How We Choose Our List
- - Top 8 Best Dog Shampoo -
- Paws & Pals Shampoo and Conditioner
- Wahl Dog/Puppy Shampoo
- Pro Pet Works Shampoo and Conditioner
- Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo
- SynergyLabs Medicated Shampoo
- Furminator deShedding Shampoo
- Curaseb Antifungal and Antibacterial Chlorhexidine Shampoo
- Nature's Miracle Supreme Odor Control Shampoo and Conditioner
- Buyer’s Guide to the Best Dog Shampoo
How We Choose Our List
Like any market, finding the best dog shampoo means wading through a veritable maelstrom of products that all seem to be very similar to each other. So, instead of having you do all the work, we compiled the best dog shampoo on the market for easy selection.
When it comes to choosing the top-tier shampoos, there are a few qualities we looked into when making our selections.
Ease of Use: A great shampoo needs to be easily used, washed out, and quickly applicable. Some lower quality shampoos might cling to your pet’s coat, then you’re stuck for the next hour getting all that gunk out. You’ve got better things to do.
Effectiveness: Preferably, the longer you can go before you need to throw your friend in the bath again the better. If a shampoo isn’t good at its job, then it has no business being on this list.
Health Benefits: This shampoo should moisturize, cleanse, and condition your dog’s coat and skin to the highest degree.
Pricing: The best dog shampoos should compromise between their quality and their price. A $1000 bottle of shampoo might be great, but it’s absurd to think anyone would actually want that.
Most importantly, the feedback informs the best when it comes to differentiating the good from the bad. While a company may tout its product as the best on the market, the consumers may say otherwise.
- Top 8 Best Dog Shampoo -
While you may be interested in picking the first option you see, it’s good to pay good attention to all the details you may see. Dog shampoo comes in a myriad of forms, depending on what they’re designed to do. If you’re looking for a dog shampoo to get rid of ticks, then you may not want one specializing in tangles.
- THE MOST EFFECTIVE NATURAL PET SHAMPOO FOR YOUR LOYAL COMPANION: Our Pet Wash Shampoo is a premium coat and skin...
- QUALITY SHAMPOO FOR YOUR DOG WITHOUT COMPROMISE: Your dog is a loving member of your family, does he or she not deserve...
- NOURISHING FORMULA: Our shampoo includes oatmeal, which will help moisturize and soothe itchy skin. It may also help...
If you’re going to go for the best dog shampoo, you may as well go for a double whammy. The Paws & Pals shampoo and conditioner is an organic solution for your dog’s itchy, dry skin that’s also good for the environment. Using only natural, essential oils, it provides the necessary support your dog’s coat needs for a continual treatment regimen.
As a tear-free formula, this soapless shampoo provides a painless bath time experience for any size dog. It has a predominantly cherry scent to it, with occasional almond and coconut hints. The shampoo itself comes, reportedly, as a creamy color that helps track the progress you’re making.
While this shampoo may not be a perfect fit for every dog, there’s overwhelming satisfaction from its consumer base. The amount of natural ingredients in it may trigger some dogs’ allergies. That’s a risk to run with any dog shampoo, however, so always be sure to check first.
- Made in the USA - our cornflower & Aloe pet shampoo is pH balanced, alcohol free, paraben free, PEG-80 free and is...
- Gentle puppy formula – This cornflower and aloe pet shampoo is great for gently cleaning and protecting your puppy’s...
- Less is more - Wahl has a higher concentrate of coconut Derived sodding agent, which means you don’t have to use as...
If you’re looking for a versatile product, then the Wahl company has you covered. Their shampoo line has just about everything covered: skin care, flea and ticks, moisturization, odor control, and more. However, what may be of the most interest is their 4-in-1 shampoo. With a calming lavender scent, it’s designed to handle cleaning, conditioning, detangling, and moisturizing all in one bottle.
4-in-1 products do tend to sacrifice effectiveness for field cover. If you’re having trouble with something specific that you need dealt with, you may want to specialize rather than cover all your bases. Regardless, the selections that the Wahl shampoo line offers ensure you’ll find exactly what you need.
If their selection wasn’t enough, then their customer response will be. Overwhelming positive response comes from those who’ve purchased any of these products. The occasional bad reaction notwithstanding, the product proves itself effective and affordable.
- [MADE IN USA] VET RECOMMENDED: Our Shampoo + Conditioner formula is recommended by Vets. Specially formulated for pets...
- NATURAL, ORGANIC INGREDIENTS THAT ARE MADE FOR DRY, SENSITIVE, ITCHY SKIN: The organic aloe vera and almond oil is...
- ALOE ENRICHED, SOAP-LESS AND DETERGENT FREE SHAMPOO + CONDITIONER THAT MAKES BATH TIME A PLEASURE: Our special...
Going the all-natural route for the best dog shampoo is pretty popular decision by most manufacturers, and Pro Pet Works doesn’t break the trend. Its oatmeal and aloe enriched formula is a therapeutic solution to any dog’s dry, flaky skin. Reportedly a soothing, gentle approach to bath time, it’s a two-in-one deal you might find some interest in.
The overall health of your dog’s coat and skin, bolstered by this soap-free formula, is then enriched with trace Vitamin E to prevent further skin damage. Not only that, but it can be used to counteract fleas, odor, and tangles.
Designed to interact well with allergy-prone dogs, this shampoo is handily among the highest rated shampoos you can find according to the customers.
- ADDRESS DRY, ITCHY, AND FLAKY SKIN - Collodial Oatmeal and Organic Aloe Vera help combat skin irritation, promote...
- BRILLIANTLY CLEAN & SOFT - This luxurious shampoo is soap free and pH-balanced to clean and deodorize safely and...
- SAFETY FIRST - Our Oatmeal & Aloe Shampoo with Vanilla & Almond scent will not wash off topical flea applications and is...
If you’re looking for something straightforward, then the Earthbath brand has what you’re looking for. It may not be a conditioner, but the important part is that it gets your dog’s coat clean. Conditioner is an extraneous bonus at best. Earthbath prides itself on its all-natural, environmental and animal conscious products. Rest assured that this shampoo is made with your dog’s well-being and cleanliness in mind.
It is, unfortunately, not tear-free, so if it gets in your dog’s eyes you’ll have to take care to wash it out. However, in all other departments it excels, especially when it comes to safe, healthy, gentle coat nurturing. It’s oatmeal and aloe vera ingredients ensure healing, anti-irritation, and healthy skin.
When it comes to customer feedback, the product excels in its execution. With the exception of a few bad reactions, the Earthbath shampoo delivers on what it promises.
- GENTLE HEALING – Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo for Dogs contains...
- FAST ACTING – Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo works fast to help relieve the inflamed scalp,...
- VETERINARY RECOMMENDED – Veterinary Formula Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo for Dogs is paraben,...
While the majority of the best dog shampoos you’ll find will be for regular skin and coat health, you may be looking for something more medicinal. If your dog is suffering from dandruff and parasites, then this may be what you’re looking for. The SynergyLabs medicated shampoo is designed to be antiparasitic, antiseborrheic, and antifungal, as well as hydrate your dog’s skin.
Recommended by veterinarians, this fast-acting shampoo can provide quick relief to your furry friend. Keep in mind that, while it can handle a variety of harmful afflictions, ticks are not among them. However, for what it is designed for, it treats gently, effectively, and leaves behind healthy skin.
With some luck, you’ll be able to avoid making a trip to the vet entirely. Those can wind up being pretty pricey. According to customer response, this product has done enormous good work for thousands of pets at an affordable price.
If you’ve ever dealt with a particularly hairy dog, then you know the plight of shedding. Hair everywhere, in every nook and cranny of the house, can get obnoxious. If you’re looking for a solution, the Furminator deShedding shampoo may be what you’re looking for. Designed specifically to deal with shedding dogs, with monthly use you’ll at least have a fighting chance.
Meant to reduce shedding, but not completely eliminate it, this shampoo does come with a bit of extra work to ensure it works. Recommended as part of a grooming regiment, you may have to wash your dog monthly to get the full effectiveness. If you do, then not only with your dog’s shedding become manageable, but they’ll have a luxurious coat and healthy skin to go along with it.
If you’re prepared for dealing with the inevitable comeuppance of fur, then this product will be what you’re looking for. This product has received massive approval from its community of users, though it does react poorly on the rare occasion with some breeds.
- ★ ELIMINATES YEAST, BACTERIA, FUNGUS, PYODERMA AND RINGWORM: Chlorhexidine and Ketoconazole Combine to Create a Super...
- ★ DEODORIZES & GENTLY CLEANSES SKIN: Our Veterinary Recommended Shampoo Will Eliminate the Smelly Musty Odor from Your...
- ★ VETERINARY STRENGTH FOR LESS MONEY: Compare Our Active Ingredients To Other Name Brands. Curaseb is the Same If Not...
We’re going to include another medicinal shampoo, just in case the first doesn’t quite hit all the markers you were looking for. Curaseb offers a shampoo that targets three different departments: yeast, bacteria, and fungus. You want to be able to treat a variety of skin diseases when you’re looking for the best dog shampoo, so the more the merrier.
Not only will this medicinal shampoo combat skin conditions like ringworm, pyoderma, and yeast infections, it ensures to eliminate odors as well. Of course, you want your buddy smelling good after their bath, why wouldn’t you?
While it may not be effective for every dog, the vast majority of those who have tried it have reported positive results. If you want to avoid a vet bill, then this might be what you need to treat that skin problem.
- Formulated with an odor neutralizer & deodorizer for tough pet coat odors
- Natural cocoa surfactant shampoo cleans & conditions
- OATMEAL FORMULA: The product is formulated with no dyes or parabens and soothes and hydrates the skin.
We love our pets, but they do have the habit of racking up a stink. I mean, so do we, that’s why we take baths and showers. The same has to be done for our furry friends, and for that, the Nature’s Miracle brand of shampoo handles any unsightly odors your pooch may have.
It’s not a one-note brand of shampoo either, marketed as a 4-in-1 solution. Designed to soothe your dog’s skin, clean and condition their coat, and neutralize and deodorize, you’ll be getting plenty of bang for your buck. It might not be all-natural, but it’s soap-free, safe, and affordable.
While an extremely well received product, certainly among the best available, it doesn’t quite offer as much as other shampoos you might find. However, it makes up for that by being pretty darn cheap for a long-lasting bottle.
Buyer’s Guide to the Best Dog Shampoo
Finding the best dog shampoo for you means ensuring that it’ll treat everything you’re looking for. If you just need a good clean, then that makes the decision a little easier, but not all shampoo is equal. Whenever you’re looking to buy new dog shampoo, always make sure to quality check it.
The better the shampoo, the healthier and happier you’ll be.